- The New York Intern Project is a contest searching for Affect’s next PR and social media summer intern
- To enter, applicants submit a video or photo entry at http://nyinternproject.com/ detailing why they should be awarded a paid internship at Affect in New York City that will jump-start their career
- The contest is judged by PR, marketing and social media experts, Peter Shankman, Deirdre Breakenridge, Julia Hood along with Sandra Fathi, Affect’s founder and president, and Katie Creaser, account director at Affect
- Affect is a public relations and social media firm based in New York
NEW YORK, March 26, 2012
- , a public relations and social media firm, along with
- , a leading platform for online promotions with an intuitive contest builder, today announced the launch of the second annual New York Intern Project. The contest seeks the next top summer intern for Affect and is now open for entries at
Future interns who are looking to launch their public relations, marketing and social media career in New York City are welcome to submit a unique convincing video or photo to The New York Intern Project website describing why they would be the ultimate intern for Affect by April 27, 2012 at 3 PM ET. The winner of the contest will receive $5,000 and a $2,500 NYC housing stipend.
Similar to last year’s contest, which drew 14,000 votes, the winners will be identified by industry leaders. The judges’ roster for the contest includes Peter Shankman, VP and small business evangelist at Vocus, Deirdre Breakenridge, author, entrepreneur and CEO of Pure Performance Communications, and Julia Hood, EVP at Haymarket Media, which overseesPRWeek. Sandra Fathi, Affect’s founder and president, and Katie Creaser, account director at Affect, round out the team of qualified judges.
Five semi-finalists will be selected via public voting on the New York Intern Project’s website and one “wild card” entry will be selected by the expert panel of judges. These six semi-finalists will be interviewed via Skype and narrowed down by the judges to two prospective interns. The top-two chosen will be flown to New York City to conduct a round of in-person interviews with the judges. The winner of the contest will be announced by May 18, 2012 and the internship will commence over the summer.
The winning intern will be immersed in everyday public relations and social media agency life. The individual will have an opportunity to:
- See firsthand how to manage public relations, marketing and social media accounts
- Experience running an Affect social media application and write blog posts
- Participate in organizing an Affect event for a client or the agency
- Attend New York public relations, marketing and social media industry events
- Tour a leading New York media organization
- Learn how to create media lists, pitches and account reports
- Write an Affect press release and case study
- Participate in client calls and all agency meetings
- Sit in on journalist interviews
“Last year’s New York Intern Project was a huge success. Not only did we find a fantastic Intern, but he became a full-time employee as well,” said Sandra Fathi, president of Affect. “This year, we’re really looking for someone to showcase their individuality, their creativity and passion for PR, marketing and social media, and why Affect is the place they can highlight and hone their skills.”
To enter The New York Intern Project, candidates upload a photo or video onto the contest website that exemplifies their desire and qualifications for the position. Entrants must also complete an online questionnaire that details why they would be an ideal addition to Affect’s team. Candidates’ entries are then posted on the website, where anyone can vote for their favorite entry. They can also be shared with friends on Facebook and other social media sites.
Last year’s winner and current Assistant Account Executive at Affect, Patrick Gotham noted, “It’s important to showcase your drive and passion, while also highlighting your personality on social media. Over the last nine months I have experienced agency life at its fullest, from working on social media programs, writing press releases and blog entries, conducting media relations, and interacting with clients.”
The New York Intern Project is powered by Strutta’s Contest Builder platform, which allows companies to create a promotion where users participate by uploading content such as videos, photos, audio or text. This format allows for easy sharing and voting.
“Strutta’s contest platform was used last year for the New York Intern Project which facilitated nearly 100 high quality entrants and a combined total of 14,360 votes,” said Ben Pickering, CEO for Strutta. “It’s important to us to be part of New York Intern Project and we hope to see many more exceptional applicants come through the contest format this year.”
Affect is a public relations and social media firm located in New York. Established in 2002, the company combines strategy, creative and intelligent program development, impeccable execution and exemplary customer service to help its clients achieve their specific business goals. Specializing in technology communications, Affect has also applied its marketing prowess to consumer goods and professional services. As year-round public relations counsel, or a single project resource, Affect leverages its business acumen and service excellence to achieve the precise results that its clients seek. For more information, web: www.affect.com; blog: www.techaffect.com; Twitter:www.twitter.com/teamaffect.
Strutta is a technology company that helps brands connect with consumers through social media promotions. The Strutta platform allows agencies, brands, Web publishers, and developers to easily create and manage contests and sweepstakes. Since launching its contest platform in 2009 and API in early 2010, Strutta has hosted and supported campaigns for companies including Crate and Barrel, Adidas, Land Rover and Johnson & Johnson. Its intuitive self-serve software has also enabled hundreds of smaller companies to run contests of their own. Strutta.com Media Inc is a privately held company headquartered in Vancouver, BC. For more information, or to get started creating your own contest, please visit www.strutta.com.