For those of you trying to keep up with the cryptocurrency and blockchain technology space, it can be difficult to decipher which news stories are relevant and which are not. Hundreds of news stories go viral on social media everyday, of topics spanning from crypto influencers, crypto stocks, or which tech companies and organizations are adopting block chain technology. In order to break through all noise, we like to focus on the important information in the crypto world today.
Here’s a snapshot of key stories from this week in crypto:
- Seen in Bloomberg this week, Coinbase, the popular cryptocurrency exchange decides to expand their offices in Japan. Since Japan is becoming a hot market for crypto, Coinbase wants to broaden their influence in the space and build trust with new crypto influencers and customers. The article also states that if Coinbase secures the license needed for this partnership with the Japanese FSA, then Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. will be a potential banking partner.
- The crypto start-up Ripple donates $50 million to 17 universities across the nation to speed up the adoption of blockchain technology. Ripple made these donations as students started to see a demand in job offers within the crypto and blockchain space. In fact, 4,500 jobs related to both were posted on LinkedIn last year.
- Stemming from SEC’s prior news of fake ICO’s, the agency has now appointed Valerie Szczepanik as the new crypto chief. In her new role, Szczepanik will be managing digital assets, ICO’s, and future innovation. As a senior member of the SEC, it’s great to see a powerful woman and thought leader to be recognized in this space.
- Some of the biggest companies in the world today are adopting blockchain technology and can’t escape from it any longer. According to Forbes’ Global 2000 list, companies such as JPMorgan, Apple, The Industrial Bank of China and Berkshire Hathaway are using the tech to digitally advance.
- Quartz shared this week that China is now warming up to the idea of using blockchain technology and realizing its importance. The reason for this is because of an hour-long show that was recently broadcasted on China’s Central Television (CCTV). The hosts of the show included international crypto influencers such as Don Tapscott and Chinese government officials to educate the country on the value of blockchain tech.
If you want to learn more, we’ll be sharing more updates on key stories of relevant crypto news next week. Stay tuned!